Barwell C of E Academy was judged as “Outstanding” by Ofsted in June 2012.
Here are some of the highlights from the report:
Here are the key findings from our latest Ofsted report:
- This is an outstanding school. Excellent teaching and an innovative curriculum enable pupils to achieve excellent gains in their skills, knowledge and understanding, as well as
outstanding personal qualities.
- Achievement is outstanding for all groups of pupils in all years. Overall standards at the end of Year 6 have been consistently above the national average since 2008. They have been above average in reading and mathematics, but have been broadly average in writing. There was a weakness in spelling, with pupils not using their knowledge of letters and sounds well enough to spell accurately. Since the introduction of a new curriculum, standards have risen significantly and are now also above average in writing.
- Teaching is outstanding and has a considerable impact on pupils’ progress. Teachers bring learning to life and make it exceptionally meaningful and enjoyable. They use assessment data exceptionally well to match work accurately to the wide range of pupils’ needs, whilst challenging them so they move on rapidly in their learning. However the teaching and marking of spelling is not universally effective.
- Behaviour is outstanding in lessons and at other times around the school. Pupils show
determination to succeed and have exceptionally positive attitudes to learning. Pupils are safe in the school and show a very strong awareness of how to stay safe.
- Robust leadership by the headteacher and the senior leadership team have ensured that the school has improved upon its good overall effectiveness at the previous inspection. Selfevaluation is highly effective and focuses on provision and its impact on the progress that pupils are making in their learning. Commitment amongst the staff to deliver a stimulating curriculum, that supports excellent spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, while still making exceptional gains in their learning, is very strong.
Barwell C of E Academy was judged as “Outstanding” by SIAMs in June 2017. Here are some of the highlights from the report:
- The strong leadership and high level commitment of the headteacher, alongside the successful partnership with the local parish church, has resulted in Barwell’s foundation as a church school being fully secured.
- The development of a core set of six values chosen by the whole school community has completely transformed the ethos of the school. Pupils have an excellent understanding of how they impact on their personal development and it is clearly reflected in the positive approach to learning.
- Worship is central to the spiritual life of the school. It is sincere, varied and relevant, and provides spiritual refreshment for the whole school community.
- Relationships in the school are very strong. The caring support given to pupils and staff extends to all stakeholders and stems from the school’s Christian vision of ‘becoming the best version of ourselves’.